There is a lot to consider when hiring a Chicago car accident attorney. In a crowded city environment, there is a greater potential for being involved in serious motor vehicle accidents. It is a good practice to have researched this in advance, but most of us do not take the time to do so. Unintentional but preventable accidents claim the lives of thousands in the Chicago area each year. Knowing how to look for qualified Chicago car accident attorneys may just come in handy – if not for you, perhaps for someone close to you.
There are thousands of lawyers in Chicago. A lot of them claim to be the best Chicago car accident attorneys around and have ads all over town. You cannot watch a television show without at least one personal injury attorney commercial gracing your screen. Do not be swayed by the hype; the only way to know that an attorney is as good as they claim is through an interview process.
Do not be afraid to ask the hard questions. Let them know up front that you are there for service and that you demand respect and consideration. It is good to have a good relationship with any attorney that is handling a case for you but you should not let them make the decisions for you. Below you will find five things to consider when looking for an attorney.
1. What are the lawyer’s plans for your case? In a free consultation it is about you interviewing the attorney; but you also get to talk about what brought you there. Any attorney that has handled a lot of accident cases should be able to give you some sort of outline of how he or she plans to proceed.
2. How many accident cases similar to this one has the attorney actually litigated, and what have been the results? This speaks to experience; you will want an chicago Accident Attorneys attorney that has been first chair in several prominent cases and won.
3. What does the lawyer expect you to do as a part of the litigation team? How can you help them help you? Most attorneys work closely with the client; you should be wary of those that keep you out of the loop.
4. Make sure the attorney you are speaking with will be the attorney of record on the case.
5. What is the lawyer’s fee arrangement? In accident cases the first consultation should be free. Experienced Chicago car accident attorneys usually will work on a contingency basis. They take the case, pay for everything and get reimbursed only if they win. Be careful of the fine print and how much their percentage is. Most attorneys receive 1/3 of any settlement and reimbursement for any money spent during the case.